The site on which Kormilda College stands is steeped in local history. Originally a World War II Army hospital that treated Australian soldiers and Japanese prisoners of war, the post-war property was converted to a QANTAS Transit Centre. For almost 20 years, thousands of international air passengers and crew were accommodated on site as they broke their journeys to Europe.
In 1967, the Commonwealth government acquired the property to create a post primary hostel and boarding school for Indigenous children from isolated locations. By early 1968 many of the buildings were renovated, repainted and converted into classrooms or bedrooms and the property became Kormilda College. Initial enrolment totalled 121 students from 27 Territory communities, pastoral stations and missions. Following self government, the management of the College was transferred to the Northern Territory government.
In February 1989 the ownership of the College transferred to the Anglican and Uniting Churches and Kormilda College Limited was formed and administered by a board of directors, appointed by the two churches.
Whilst maintaining the provision of full secondary residential education programs for Indigenous students, We now serve the broader community and host both day and boarding students. The student population is over 1000 and representative of the wide variety of cultural backgrounds found in the Northern Territory.
In 1991 Kormilda College applied to the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO), based in Geneva, Switzerland, to offer the IB Diploma course to students in Years 11 and 12 – we commenced teaching the IBO in 1993 and remain the only College in the Northern Territory to offer the IBO.
In 2004 the College expanded its curriculum to include Year 7 and in 2006 was officially awarded full accreditation by the Council of Internationally Accredited Schools, Australasian branch (CIASa).